Saturday, 26 April 2014

GDP REBASING DISCUSSION 2




"Happy Easter,Mr. Ando."

"I wish you same,Mr. Pros,how is your family?"

"We are good thank you.Please I have not seen,Konti and his family for someday now.Do you know anything about their whereabouts?"

"Pros, there is no problem,I learnt that he traveled for Easter celebrations in the village. I think it should be a relief to you for you the few days he won't be around." Ando replied with a mischievous smile on his face.

"Relief? What relief? Konti is just too inquisitive for my liking.He would pester you for some explanations but would refuse to see your point. You are a gentle man.Please don't drag me into any issue involving this country today. I want to enjoy my holidays.By the way, have you heard from him?"

"Yes,I did.He sent regards.He was lamenting about the state of our roads.He said the roads were so bad to the East that they spent two days on the road.He said so many cars broke down and they had to sleep inside the bush to avoid night marauders."

"Oh! What a pity.Iam sure if he had been around he will ask me why the roads were that bad and government do nothing to repair them."

"Pros,why do you think our roads are so terrible and unattended to for decades? You are more knowlegible that all of us in this compound."
 
"Please educate me.The last I know was that Lagos-Ibadan expressway had been awarded and celebrated as if it was completed.I was thinking it will be part of campaign jingle of GEJ.Then the stretch of road leading to the East was awarded several years ago to one of PDP chieftain."

"Ando, please mind your business and don't cast aspersion.All I know is that government is working assiduously to repair all Federal Roads in Nigeria not only those you mentioned.There are many contending responsibilities of government apart from roads."

"What other responsibities there are that is taking revenue of government?"

" We have defence, health, education,water resources, agricuture,women affairs,Niger Delta, petroleum resources and others competing for government attentions too, Ando."

"Defence? Please don't mention that.Northern Nigeria is invaded by insurgents and our military cannot curtail them.The firing power of the insurgents are more than that of our securities forces.What are we spending money on yearly in the name of defence? If Boko Haram is gaining advantage on land,what about arial attack? Don't we have the money? The other day the criminals came to rescue their members close to Aso Villa,they held out our security agents for hours in exchange of gunshots.Then you whittled down arguement by talking about petroleum resources.Petroleum is no longer a resource with profligacy in NNPC and..."

"Please,please don't mix up issues here.Please understand that insurgency using guerrilla approach is a difficult one.Government is trying.And that does not mean we shouldn't spend more on security.It has become a global challenge." Pros cuts in with with a tone of helplessness.

"Alright,since you have chosen to do the work of Labaran Maku,Reuben Abati and Doyin Okupe put together,I have more axe to grind with you.Why did Hon Minister of Petroleum resources declined to appear before House Committee probing her recklessness on hiring of private jets? Is this not impunity? First it was unremitted oil proceeds worth $20bn and now the spending spree on private jets for her and family members."

"You asked so many questions.Which one do you want answers to? I think we should change the topic of this discussion."

"Alright,but to which topic,Pros? Is it the abduction of teenage girls from their hostel in Chibok ,Borno state we should talk about? Or do we talk about GEJ 2015 campaign machinery already in motion full swing? Or do we talk about echoes from GDP rebasing in Nigeria?"

"You are not different from Konti.Come to think of it,why am I in all these? Do I work with the government? I am done for today,please, Ando."


No comments:

Post a Comment