President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan inaugurated National Conference recently with hope that we can find a way forward for the acrimony in the land.On daily basis, arson and mass murder and various other crimes are committed with impunity.The criminals from North East to South South have continued to dare the nation's securities apparatus.Certainly lot of people are aggrieved either against government or out of their personal failures and frustrations.
Even though there are those that are against the convening of the conference however majority of Nigerians agree that we need to talk.We need to fashion out a solution for our living together as a people.We have another opportunity to rub mind as a nation and we must not miss this auspicious moment. Some have said so many things about the allowances of Delegates of N12m for the three months the Confab will last.But nothing is too much to sacrifice for the unity of this country.My worry, however is the source of the fund and accountability if drawn from another source different from the appropriation act.
Some people have argued against the appropriateness of the Confab when general election is close.The day the confab was inaugurated,Boko Haram struck in the North killing and maiming innocent Nigerians.This is why some said GEJ should be busy solving the problem of insecurity rather than constituting the Confab.But when do we ever have appropriate time? Imagining for example, people saying they didn't understand why Prof, Atahiru Jega fixed election on Lovers day in 2015? If the election falls on Eater period next year,Christians will talk, if it is in June,Ah the fear of June 12!. If it is August Muslims will complain of Ramadan.If we all have to wait on people for appropriate time, nothing will be done,
Looking at some faces at the Confab it gives me hope that we can get it right and the outcome of the conference will be useful.The likes of Chairman,Justice Ibrahim Kutigi,Vice chairman,Prof.Bolaji Akinyemi,Dr Tunji Braithwaithe,Chief Richard Akinjide,Chief Chibudon Nwoche,Chief Mrs. Felicia Sani,Chief Mrs.Remi Kuti,General Alani Akinrinade,Pastor Tunde Bakare, Olisa Agbakoba SAN,Chief Mike Osekhome SAN, Femi Falana,Dr. Joe Okei- Odumakin and among others.
However there are some people I saw that I came close to screaming.There are some former governors that I saw and I wondered whether the conference is to push these public figures back into our faces.Perhaps it is a case of "I still dey here o I no dey go anywhere.I dey kampe!" I saw a very powerful woman from the South South at the conference to my chagrin.Madam, so una too come? Anyway once in government is always in government.People talked about average age of between 65 to 70years of most the delegates.I have no problem with that so long as they bring their wisdom to bear on debates and outcome of the conference.
Even though there are those that are against the convening of the conference however majority of Nigerians agree that we need to talk.We need to fashion out a solution for our living together as a people.We have another opportunity to rub mind as a nation and we must not miss this auspicious moment. Some have said so many things about the allowances of Delegates of N12m for the three months the Confab will last.But nothing is too much to sacrifice for the unity of this country.My worry, however is the source of the fund and accountability if drawn from another source different from the appropriation act.
Some people have argued against the appropriateness of the Confab when general election is close.The day the confab was inaugurated,Boko Haram struck in the North killing and maiming innocent Nigerians.This is why some said GEJ should be busy solving the problem of insecurity rather than constituting the Confab.But when do we ever have appropriate time? Imagining for example, people saying they didn't understand why Prof, Atahiru Jega fixed election on Lovers day in 2015? If the election falls on Eater period next year,Christians will talk, if it is in June,Ah the fear of June 12!. If it is August Muslims will complain of Ramadan.If we all have to wait on people for appropriate time, nothing will be done,
Looking at some faces at the Confab it gives me hope that we can get it right and the outcome of the conference will be useful.The likes of Chairman,Justice Ibrahim Kutigi,Vice chairman,Prof.Bolaji Akinyemi,Dr Tunji Braithwaithe,Chief Richard Akinjide,Chief Chibudon Nwoche,Chief Mrs. Felicia Sani,Chief Mrs.Remi Kuti,General Alani Akinrinade,Pastor Tunde Bakare, Olisa Agbakoba SAN,Chief Mike Osekhome SAN, Femi Falana,Dr. Joe Okei- Odumakin and among others.
However there are some people I saw that I came close to screaming.There are some former governors that I saw and I wondered whether the conference is to push these public figures back into our faces.Perhaps it is a case of "I still dey here o I no dey go anywhere.I dey kampe!" I saw a very powerful woman from the South South at the conference to my chagrin.Madam, so una too come? Anyway once in government is always in government.People talked about average age of between 65 to 70years of most the delegates.I have no problem with that so long as they bring their wisdom to bear on debates and outcome of the conference.
Finally, I think the conference should have moved beyond discussing the opening remarks or address of Mr president by now. So many precious times have been spent on trivialities before now.There were issues of voting patterns and manners of reaching consensus on deliberations.There were the problem of food and allowances for aides and messengers.The issue of conveniences also came up save for issue of snoring that was not discussed. If the conference continue at present pace,the conference will take more than 3 months initially planned.
No comments:
Post a Comment