Wednesday, 17 September 2014

EBOLA : COMMENDABLE CONTAINMENT,MYTHS,CURES pt 2

The EVD battle brought so many stories along with it.There were unfounded myths, stories and cures. Some of the stories are falsehood while some rumoured cures are phantom.Imagine someone prescribing hot salt water bath and consumption.Hear my ignorant neighbour speaking with me while I was washing my car early in the morning around 6 am.She was almost on top her voice, ''Uncle, please I received a call from Lagos Island now that we all should take our bath with hot salt water including the children.They should drink small amount too because of Abola that is everywhere.'' I don't know whether to burst into laughter or take her advice.I querried silently "Abola?". Before I could blink there was "Abola"and hot salt water message on my street.Later in the day in the office my amusement changed to fear when people started talking about this "cure" and bitter kola.If I don't eat bitter kola and bathe with Abola salt,is my family and I safe? All of a sudden the price of bitter kola had tripled.Sellers ran out of stock. I began to think that in the next few days our roads will be awashed with peddlers hawking salt of different kinds during traffic jams.You could here, "Oga see this my salt is original,it cures Ebola quick quick.If you buy this my salt,your body will getter fresher.Buy 1 bag and get two free!"

The fear was palpable as handshakes immediately became a taboo.Hand sanitizers became gold and fake products adorn stores.Bank staff began to wear gloves as if they were about to perform a surgery. Nigerian were more afraid of Ebola more than anything.We all want to live long in this country where nothing works! Banks and more companies now use hand held thermometers on people before the are allowed in. Is someone down with Ebola able to walk down to cash money? It is a fact that infection can only be transmitted from a victim who is critically ill.If someone's temperature rises beyond normal, does it mean it is Ebola?

No comments:

Post a Comment